Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza on made from scratch dough topped with BBQ sauce, chopped chicken, onions, and tons of cheese. Our family favorite pizza!
BBQ Chicken Pizza
It has been a while since I made pizza. I must say there’s nothing quite like a cheesy, soft and crispy, loaded with your favorite toppings, homemade pizza.
So you have a favorite? I often crave my cheesy and spicy buffalo chicken pizza. This BBQ chicken pizza has become a high priority around here. Hubs has been asking for it for weeks now. Sweet and spicy BBQ sauce or your favorite, chopped chicken, sliced onions, and freshly grated mozzarella cheese.
It is amazing!
Start with my favorite homemade pizza crust. I wrote a post a while back about how to make homemade pizza dough. You will find lots of helpful tips to help you along the way.
HOMEMADE PIZZA IN A FLASH
Top the dough with your favorite BBQ sauce, shredded chicken, and thinly sliced onion. I use about ½ cup of BBQ sauce and I like to layer it on so that it doesn’t make the crust soggy. Spread half over the crust and the other half over the chicken just before you add the cheese. You get sauce in each bite while the crust stays soft and crisp.
For the chicken, you can easily use a leftover rotisserie. I love to make use of our leftovers this way. If you don’t have any on hand just cook up a large chicken breast. I recommend simmering it in a pot of salted water until cooked through. Remove it from the water and let it cool completely before shredding. The chicken will be super tender and moist and it will remain that way once heated again on the pizza.
I used fresh mozzarella cheese that I grated myself. The soft silkiness of fresh cheeses is adorable. I feel like they melt better and simply taste better. But this is not a must-have. If all you have in your fridge is a package of shredded mozzarella cheese, it will work just fine.
As for the onion, it is completely optional. Leave it off, use red instead of white, or use a sweet onion even. It is completely up to you.
This pizza has an incredible flavor, especially when you’re using your favorite BBQ sauce. You will fall in love with it! Forget takeout tonight and enjoy a homemade pizza instead.
For more chicken inspiration checkout our 18 chicken dish selection.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza dough
- 1/2 cup bbq sauce
- 1 and 1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 and 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Prepare the homemade pizza dough according to the recipe instructions.
- Spread the bbq sauce evenly over the crust leaving a 1-inch bare rim around the edge. Sprinkle the chicken and onion over the sauce. Spread the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese has melted. Rotate halfway through the cooking time. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing.
Read the original article.